11/10 Fun Home Response

November 9th, 2010

I believe that what Julia Watson is suggesting in“Autographic Disclosures and Genealogies of Desire in Alison Bechdel’s Fun Home” is that visual and verbal representations  are equally as valid and important in representing the “self” as verbal representation alone. The cartoonish approach of Fun Home invites the reader to read differently by combining visual and lexical choices, which require as much attention as any other conventional approach. Watson argues that:

“At the same time it (Autographics) is intertextual, incorporating a wealth of Modernist literary references into comics that turns the form into a forum on the multi-textual pastiche of contemporary culture.”

“Autographics” is then defended as the natural response to modern culture, and its comic phenotype should not be simply regarded as comical,  it is still an auto/biography (that may or may not be a funny read).

I agree with Watson’s argument that cartoon representation enhances verbal representation, though I expected to laugh a little more than I did. The biggest challenge in accepting Autographics as a serious form of autobiography is that it employs the element of cartoons, and I can’t help but think of “Tom and Jerry” when I hear the word. Anyways, I enjoyed seeing as I was reading, instead of imagining faces and places like most books require.

7 Responses to “11/10 Fun Home Response”

1. Jessica McKinnie on November 11, 2010 2:51 pm

I agree with your comment because I think that it is always a great idea to incorporate visual along with the verbal. I don’t read comic books however, I would read an autographic because I love stories being told and me being able to SEE how the author grew up in his/her family. I also do agree that autographics are just as valid as any autobiography. They just have pictures along with them to help the reader have a visual sense of what’s going on.

2. Stephanie Hochbaum on November 14, 2010 4:20 pm

I agree with you Diana (and Jessica’s comment,) because I am not a big comic book fan, but I do think it is interesting to note the combination of the verbal and visual elements. I think that autographics add this interesting dimension to autobiography. It would seem to me that expressing your life story via pictures is more difficult than in words…I would also venture that autographics have become more popular in recent years (though I definitely may be wrong about that…) I say that because more contemporary approaches to the arts including literature is more abstract and “out of the box,” if you will. Telling a story through pictures and not only words and the dynamic that must be created in coordination and hopefully “synthesizing” the two, I think is a more modern approach to learning.

3. justinesiebuhr on December 1, 2010 2:09 pm

I agree with all of you, I think that the pictures really help to add more depth into the story. I am not someone who picks up comic books either, but I enjoyed reading this. I think that the pictures add a different element to the story and that it gives a different perspective of the author. I think that the pictures help the reader to get an understanding of how the author viewed herself.

4. maivish058 on December 6, 2010 5:53 pm

I agree with everyone who posted comments here. I don’t read comics, but this one really incorportated visual and verbal elements, giving depth to the story. For me, to express my life using the illustrations is more difficult than expressing with the words. Autographics are also seen as autobiography, they just include pictures to give us better udnerdtanding of what is really going on with the characters.

5. Paris Fruman on September 27, 2013 11:25 pm

Thank you for sharing excellent informations.
    Your web-site is very cool. I’m impressed by the details that
    you have on this site. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject.
    Bookmarked this website page, will come back for more articles.
    You, my friend, ROCK! I found simply the information I already
    searched everywhere and simply couldn’t come across.

What an ideal site.

6. Iris Mulligan on September 29, 2013 11:35 pm

Hmm is anyone else encountering problems with the
    pictures on this blog loading? I’m trying to find
    out if its a problem on my end or if it’s the blog. Any feed-back would be greatly appreciated.

7. nicholas on May 7, 2014 4:49 pm

Is there a website that makes it easy to follow blogs and podcasts? I don’t have an iPod, does that matter?.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS